Living in a home with someone who has long hair, whether that’s yourself or another person, can wreak havoc on your drains if proper precautions aren’t put into place. Even with the use of hair traps, hair accumulation can still build up into your pipes. When this happens, a good drain cleaner is the answer.
So, does Drano work on hair? The short answer to this is yes. With that said, there’s one Drano product, in particular, that is designed specifically for hair removal: Drano Hair Buster Gel. This gel is designed with maximum strength to dissolve hair upon contact.
In this article, we’ll explain what Drano Hair Buster Gel is and how to use it properly. We’ll also leave you with some tips in the event the gel isn’t working.
Drano Hair Buster Gel is a thick gel formula designed specifically for tough hair clogs. The gel works instantaneously to dissolve any built-up hair upon contact and can normally get the job done within 15-30 minutes. Drano Hair Buster Gel is safe for use in any bathroom pipe, as well as other drains where hair may build-up, like a laundry sink.
The gel begins working effectively within seven minutes or less and the weight and thickness of the gel have the capability to easily cut through standing water. When used correctly, Drano Hair Buster Gel is completely safe for most pipe materials.
Using Drano Hair Buster Gel
In order for the Drano Hair Buster Gel to properly do its job, it’s important you follow usage instructions very carefully. Failing to do so can lead to extensive pipe damage and even injury to yourself. To use Drano correctly, follow these steps:
1. Open the product. You’ll need to push down and turn counterclockwise to unlock the childproof lock and then twist to remove the cap. When doing this, you mustn’t squeeze the bottle or splash the product. Doing can cause the product to get on your skin, which is a danger.
2. Pour the product down the drain. You’ll need to pour the entire bottle down the drain for this step. When doing this, take care to make sure no gel splashes out to the sides. If you notice a spill, clean it up immediately to avoid any damage to your sink or tub basin.
3. Let the product do its job. While the gel will start working within seven minutes or less, you should allow 15-30 minutes to pass before flushing your pipes.
4. Flush your pipes with hot water. After giving the gel a chance to work through the obstruction, run hot water for a minute or so to flush out your pipes. If you notice the water still isn’t draining as effectively as you’d like, you can repeat the process over again.
Keep in mind that you shouldn’t continuously use Drano if you see it isn’t solving the problem after two or three cycles. Using too much drain cleaner can lead to your pipes bubbling or bursting, which then leaves you with a more expensive problem.
Is Drano Hair Buster Gel Safe for Septic Systems?
All Drano products are marketed as “septic-safe” and shouldn’t disrupt the bacterial ecosystem in your tank. In fact, some products Drano offers have microorganism enzymes that help the current septic ecosystem break down fecal matter and other obstructions like toilet paper.
However, the hair buster gel isn’t among the products that have microorganisms in the formula. With that said, hair buster gel shouldn’t cause any major disruptions to your septic tank. Keeping all of that in mind, you still need to make sure you carefully follow the product instructions. Failing to do that can cause issues with your septic tank.
Is Drano Hair Buster Gel Safe for Old Pipes?
According to Drano, the Hair Buster Gel is safe for use with plastic and metal pipes. However, older pipes are more susceptible to damage due to age than new plastic or metal pipes. While the company states that it should be safe, some users say it can cause old pipes to bubble and even burst.
When dealing with any older part of a home, whether it’s the pipes or something else entirely, it’s always important to use extra caution. If you’re worried the gel might further corrode your piping system, you may want to try out an alternative unclogging method or reach out to a professional instead.
Drano Max Gel – What is it and Will it Dissolve Hair?
Drano Max Gel works quickly and effectively to break through standing water and cling to tough clogs to blast them apart. This particular Drano product is designed for use in garbage disposals, bathrooms, kitchens, and other drains like laundry sinks. Because of it’s multi-room usage, it’s another great Drano product for removing hair.
Drano Max Gel will efficiently remove any gunky clogs caused by hair, soap scum, or other organic obstructions. Like the hair buster gel, it works immediately upon contact with the obstruction to dissolve it from your pipe. But, unlike Drano hair buster gel, this formula also has an anti-corrosion ingredient to help protect your pipes from possible damage.
While it can work in as little as 15 minutes, Drano Max Gel is also safe to leave in your pipes overnight for more serious issues.
Using Drano Max Gel
Drano Max Gel may be able to effectively dissolve hair, but like the hair buster gel, it’s imperative you do so correctly. To properly use Drano Max Gel, follow these steps:
1. Open the container. Release the childproof lock by pushing down and turning the cap counterclockwise. Careful not to squeeze or splash and product and secure the lid back on after pouring.
2. Pour the product down your drain. Start by only pouring 16 oz. slowly down your drain. If it’s a more problematic clog, you can pour 32 oz. instead.
3. Wait for the product to work. Although the product will dissolve hair upon impact, you need to allow it 15-30 minutes to fully break through any clogs in your drain.
4. Flush the pipes with hot water. After letting the product work, flush your pipes with hot water for a few minutes to ensure no Drano is left in the pipe. Repeat each step as necessary.
If you notice the Drano isn’t working after two or three tries, stop what you’re doing and try an alternative method. Using a drain snake or calling a professional is best, in this case, to avoid damaging your pipes.
Drano Liquid Drain Cleaner – What is it and Will it Dissolve Hair?
Drano liquid drain cleaner is the most budget-friendly option of all Drano products. It’s also marketed as easy-to-use and safe for all pipe materials. Drano liquid cleaner works in the same way as the gel in that it dissolves clogs upon contact. For the full effect, it also takes 15-30 minutes to work to the fullest.
The liquid cleaner will dissolve hair and works best when used for garbage disposals, bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry sinks. It won’t cause issues in septic tanks either and also comes with the anti-corrosive additive to help protect your pipes. Beyond that, it doesn’t contain any phosphates that are harmful to aquatic life and is also safe to leave sit in your drain overnight if necessary.
Using Drano Liquid Drain Cleaner
To ensure the safety of yourself and your pipes, it’s important to follow the product instructions carefully. To correctly use Drano liquid cleaner, follow these steps:
1. Open the product. Disable the childproof lock by pushing down and turning counterclockwise. Take care not to squeeze the bottle or spill any during this process.
2. Pour the product down the drain. Begin by only pouring half of the bottle (16 oz.) and letting that sit in. If you find the clog is more pronounced, you can use the rest of the bottle.
3. Let the product work through the clog. The clog can usually be resolved in 15 minutes but more pronounced clogs may require 30 minutes of work.
4. Flush the pipes. Run hot water through the pipes for a few minutes to ensure no more Drano is left over. If you’re working through a garbage disposal and you notice the drain still isn’t clear, don’t turn on the disposal as that can cause the Drano to splash. Call a plumber instead.
Drano Dual-Force Foamer Clog Remover – What is it and Will it Dissolve Hair?
Drano Dual-Force Foamer is a clog remover that uses a deep cleaning foam to reach where other products can’t. It works incredibly well in garbage disposals, offers the best reach of all Drano products, and is deemed safe for all pipe materials. Although it works best in garbage disposals, it’s also incredibly effective at busting hair too.
When pouring the dual-force foamer down your drain, both ingredients in the mixture form a powerful foam that busts organic obstructions in even the toughest of spaces. On top of clearing out any clogs, it also works to clean the walls of your pipes of any gunk that may cause hair and other particles to stick. Drano Dual-Force Foamer works best in garbage disposals, kitchen and bathroom drains, and laundry sinks.
Using Drano Dual-Force Foamer Clog Remover
Although the foamer works very similarly to other Drano products, there are a few small differences. With that said, it’s still extremely important to follow all product instructions carefully to ensure the safety of yourself and your pipes. To correctly use Drano foamer, follow these steps:
1. Open the product. Disengage the childproof lock by pushing down and turning in a counterclockwise motion. Make sure to lock the cap back up after you pour to avoid any spills or accidents.
2. Pour the product down the drain. In this case, you’ll usually use the entire bottle.
3. Let the product get to work. While other Drano products only take 15-30 minutes, it’s best to leave this one to do its job for at least one hour.
4. Flush your pipes with hot water. After an hour has passed, you can flush your pipes for a few minutes with hot water. Repeat steps as necessary.
Does Drano Work on Pet Hair?
Drano’s main purpose is to dissolve organic materials that are obstructing a drains system. Pet hair is also considered organic matter, so Drano can still effectively dissolve it from your pipes. With that said, you may find it easier to give your pet a quick brush before getting in the tub if they aren’t too messy. This will help lessen the amount of hair that gets into your drain.
What Can You Do if Drano Cleaners are Not Removing Hair?
If you’ve tried multiple Drano treatments and you still aren’t seeing results, you have other options. Perhaps the most common alternative to drain cleaner is a snake tool. The FlexiSnake Drain Weasel Sink Snake Cleaner is a popular choice among users, likely because of its affordability and ease of use.
This particular drain snake comes with a rotating handle and five wand refills, which is nice because you don’t have to worry about buying a new one every time you have issues with your drain.
Drano is a quick-acting, effective tool for removing hair clogs from your shower or sink drains. Most products Drano offers have hair-busting capability, but perhaps the most effective product is the Drano Hair Buster Gel. With that said, if you have other Drano products on hand, they will work to similar effectiveness in removing the hair clog.
Regardless of which Drano product you choose to use, it’s important to carefully follow product instructions to ensure your safety and the safety of your pipes. Wear gloves if possible to avoid contact with your skin and allow 24 hours to pass before using your shower or sink again after Drano treatment.
Check out our related Drano articles here: