Bissell has been one of the most popular brands of vacuum cleaners since its invention in 1876. This brand of vacuums has a ton of specialty options for cleaning pet messes, covering multiple surfaces, and more.
Bissell Spot Clean is a portable carpet cleaner with three tough stain-removing tools for cleaning upholstery, stairs, and hard-to-reach places. The Spot Clean Pro is an even more powerful version of the original Spot Clean and has several additional features that make it able to handle even the toughest stains.
Carpets and upholstery are easily stained, and removing those stains can be an enormous chore for homeowners. Bissell Spot Clean and Spot Clean Pro are designed to make that job even easier. If you’re wondering which portable carpet cleaner to get for you home, then read on to learn all about these products!
History of Bissell
Bissell is a highly popular vacuum brand in North America and Europe. This brand was established in 1876 when husband and wife duo Anna and Melville R. Bissell came up with an innovative sweeper.
Anna became the first CEO in America when Melville passed away in 1889. She took the reins for the company and fought to defend their patents while expanding their market into Europe.
This brand produced several innovative sweepers and carpet care products throughout their history. Bissell’s first carpet deep cleaning machine was introduced in 1974, and this brand began releasing a series of pet-related products in the early 2000s.
Today, Bissell continues to be a family-owned company dedicated to providing other families with easy cleaning solutions. This brand remains devoted to products designed to clean up messes left behind by pets and continues to advocate for fair treatment of pets through the Bissell Pet Foundation.
Bissell Spot Clean
You may be surprised to learn that the original Bissell Spot Clean was discontinued a few years ago. Bissell is no longer making this product or replacement parts for it, so if you choose to buy the original version, just know that it’s no longer a supported model.
Despite being discontinued, Bissell Spot Clean can still be found on various online platforms. It’s a very popular product, so let’s discuss some of the features that continue to make it desirable.
- Bissell Spot Clean is a portable carpet cleaner. You can bring it around your home to reach every room, staircase, and rug, which makes it a very convenient product to have around.
- Special heatwave technology keeps the water temperature from fluctuating and at an ideal cleaning temperature while you’re using this product.
- Bissell Spot Clean comes with three tough stain tools to help homeowners reach stairs, upholstery, and any hard-to-reach spots.
- This product comes with a Deep Reach tool that removes embedded dirt and stains from the bottom-up.
- The removable water tanks are easy to fill and clean.
Part of the allure of the Bissell Spot Clean is its specs. This portable carpet cleaner weighs only 14lbs, so it’s easy to carry around the home and up and down stairs. It also has dimensions of 15.9×13.9×11 inches, so it’s easy to squeeze through doorways and store in small closets.
How To Use Bissell Spot Clean
Using your Bissell Spot Clean is very easy. This portable carpet cleaner was designed to make your carpet cleaning chore a simple event. Just follow these steps and watch the Bissell Spot Clean eliminate stains and dirt from your carpets!
- Lift the clean water tank up and away from the unit. Pull on the black tab to reveal the opening and use the lines on the tank to fill it with the correct amount of hot water.
- Add in the correct amount of Bissell portable carpet cleaning liquid to the clean water tank. Use the lines on the tank to determine the correct amount of liquid needed.
- Replace the plug and replace the tank in the machine.
- Unwrap the flex hose from around the machine and attached the desired cleaning tool.
- Plug your machine in and pretreat stains if necessary by pointing the cleaning attachment at the stain and pressing the trigger to release a mist of cleaning solution. Wait 3-5 minutes before cleaning if you need to pretreat a stain.
- Scrub the stain with the cleaning tool. Then, apply downward pressure on the tool and slowly pull it toward you to lift away the stain.
- Continue scrubbing and using downward pressure until the stain or dirt is eliminated.
- Use drying strokes to remove as much moisture from the area as possible.
Bissell Spot Clean Pro
Bissell Spot Clean Pro is an updated version of the original spot clean unit, and it comes with additional features. This portable vacuum cleaner is still being produced by Bissell, which gives it a huge advantage over the original model.
Let’s discuss some of the features and specs that makes the Spot Clean Pro such a powerful cleaner.
- Bissell Spot Clean Pro features an extra large tank capable of holding ¾ gallons of water, so you can go longer between refills.
- You can reach extra far with the Bissell Spot Clean Pro with its 5-foot hose and 20-foot power cord.
- This portable cleaning unit can clean more than just your carpets. You can also use the Bissell Spot Clean Pro on stairs, upholstery, area rugs, auto interiors, and more.
- Along with removing the toughest stains and messes, Spot Clean Pro also protects against further stains with the power of StainProtect.
- This product comes with a 3-inch tough stain tool and a 6-inch stair tool to make cleaning even easier
Bissell Spot Clean Pro has similar specs to the original model. However, this model is lighter at only 13.25lbs and is even easier to move around your home and store. The dimensions for this model are 6.5x12x14.5 inches.
How To Use Bissell Spot Clean Pro
You follow the exact same steps to use the Bissell Spot Clean Pro as you would for the original version. The only difference is that you have different attachments to choose from, and the tank is larger. However, this model still features lines on the tank to show you how much water and cleaning solution you need, so the steps for the original Spot Clean model work for this Pro model as well.
Comparison Questions (Bissell Spot Clean vs Spot Clean Pro):
Is Bissell Spot Clean or Spot Clean Pro More Effective?
You can use the same cleaning solutions and similar cleaning tools with both of these models, so they’re both very effective carpet cleaners. However, the Spot Clean Pro model is a more effective cleaning unit overall.
The Spot Clean Pro model has an extended hose and power cable, which makes it easier for homeowners to clean hard to reach spots. This model also features a larger water tank, so you don’t have to stop as frequently to change out the water and cleaning solution.
Cleaning with the Spot Clean Pro model will be much more convenient and effective than using the original model.
Is Bissell Spot Clean or Spot Clean Pro More Affordable?
While the price of the original Spot Clean model is slightly less than the Spot Clean Pro model, that doesn’t automatically make it the more affordable option. Since Bissell no longer produces the original model, you won’t have a valid warranty or be able to purchase replacement parts for that model.
The Spot Clean Pro model comes with a 2-year warranty and Bissell makes replacement parts for this vacuum. So, if a hose breaks on your Spot Clean Pro, you only need to pay to replace the hose rather than the entire vacuum.
You’ll save plenty of money in the long run by purchasing the Spot Clean Pro model. If anything breaks on your original model, then you’ll have to buy an entirely new vacuum.
What Cleaning Solution Can I Use For Spot Clean Pro?
Bissell recommends using their Pro Max Clean + Protect formula with the Spot Clean Pro. You can also use any of their other carpet cleaning formulas, including the Pet Pro Oxy, Oxy Clean & Refresh + Febreze, Pet Stain & Odor + Antibacterial cleaner, and more.
Is Bissell Spot Clean Discontinued?
Unfortunately, the original Bissell Spot Clean unit was discontinued some years ago. This unit is still available for purchase on certain online platforms like Amazon, but Bissell no longer produces this unit or replacement parts for it. So, if you plan on buying this model, just be aware that you won’t get a warranty or be able to purchase replacement parts in the future.
The Verdict– What’s Different?
There are a few key differences between the original Bissell Spot Clean unit and the Pro version. The Pro unit features a larger tank, extended wall cord, larger hose, and can be used on more surfaces than the original model. It’s also worth noting that the original model was discontinued, so if you were debating between these two portable carpet cleaning units, you should go with Bissell Spot Clean Pro.
Jamie is the Founder of My Home Dwelling. He is a homeowner and enjoys sharing his homeowner tips with others. He has real estate experience working as a new home construction Realtor. Jamie has worked on numerous residential construction sites helping with interior and exterior renovations. He loves refinishing furniture, DIY home projects, and sharing his knowledge online.